Board of Directors
BOD OFFICER JOB DESCRIPTION
Board of Directors Responsibilities
- Directors have sole authority to appropriate association funds but do not unreasonably obligate DAAR beyond its tenure of office.
- Set public policy position as it pertains to the real estate industry.
- Establish governing policies of the Association.
- Approve member programs, products and services.
- Establish dues amounts.
- Certify members qualifying for REALTORâ status.
- Define Local Board jurisdictions.
Board of Directors Job Description
- Read and have general knowledge of Durango Area Association of REALTORS, Inc. (DAAR) Bylaws and Colorado Real Estate Network, Inc. (CREN) MLS Rules and Regulations. IMPORTANT. Meetings and decisions made MUST follow the bylaws, rules and regulations or liability is created for the Association.
- Establish dues and fees
- Establish governing policies
- Approve amendments to the bylaws
- Attend committee meetings assigned as Director Liaison as an ex-officio nonvoting member
- Report the results of committee meetings represented as Director Liaison to the board and to the members at Association meetings (if Chairperson is unable to do so)
- Act on committee reports and recommendations
- Attend all DAAR Board of Directors meetings each month and special meetings as required (allow 2 hours for regular monthly meetings)
- Approve unusual expenditures of the Association. (day to day operations are predetermined in the budget and subject to the Executive Officer’s discretion)
- Direct investments of Association Funds
- Approve annual budget
- Attend Annual Installation Banquet (September)
- Attend Annual DAAR Board Retreat (October/November)
- Attend and participate in Association functions as much as possible including annual Community Service fundraising events
- Set positive example for all Association members
- Promote and attend education opportunities
- Professional attitude
- Promote and enforce ethical conduct
- Assist President to recruit new director candidates
- Be willing to consider serving as an Officer of the Board of Directors
- Be informed – stay current on local, state and national REALTOR® issues and concerns
- Promote unity of the Board of Directors and the Association Membership. The Board of Directors is always expected to be a united front. Remain cautious of expressing your individual opinion as members tend to accept your statements as official DAAR policy.
- Respect confidentiality at all times. Professional Standards decisions and/or appeals as well as during Executive Sessions of meetings. Board of Directors meetings are not confidential, only during Executive Session. (Keep in mind the “united front.”)
- Display enthusiasm about Realtor® membership, be a good Realtor® role model.
- Take responsibility for specific communication to members for specific programs, e.g.: political affairs, etc., as determined by the President or the Board of Directors.
Board of Directors Job Expectations
- Commitment – when acting as a DAAR board member, you are acting in the best interest of DAAR and its members…not you as a REALTOR or your office.
- Attendance – Board meetings are monthly.
- Article XII, Section 2. Meetings of Directors. Explanation of an absence from a board meeting must be submitted in writing to the Executive Officer before the next regular board meeting. Absence from three regular meetings within a 1-year period will be deemed resignation from the board. The vacancy shall be filled as described in Article XI, Section 7. In the case of extenuating circumstances, the resigned director or officer may appeal the automatic resignation to the Board of Directors, who may by majority vote, overturn the resignation. Board members are encouraged to attend DAAR Membership and Association meetings.
- Board members are to attend their assigned committee meetings and be prepared to update the Board monthly.
- Board members are encouraged to attend local issue meetings whenever possible including city and county planning meetings.
- Board members are to support all DAAR sponsored events including Community Service events, PSF fundraising, CARHOF fundraising, candidates forums, etc.
- Board members are encouraged to attend CAR and NAR functions. Executive Committee members that attend CAR meetings must participate in committees and forums and are encouraged to volunteer at state level.
- Have a working knowledge of the governing documents of the Association.